The Course is on a blog.
The entire course is conducted on the Course Blog: Counterintuitive (rowancomp2.wordpress.com).
- Course Materials and readings will be posted on the blog.
- Assignments will be posted on the blog.
- Student work and feedback will be conducted on the blog.
- Grades will not be posted on the blog.
Your work will be public.
To participate and earn a grade, you’ll need a free WordPress account and username.
- The college respects your privacy.
- To protect your anonymity while posting to a public blog, choose a unique username that does not identify you.
- DO NOT USE YOUR ACTUAL NAME as a username.
Get a WordPress Username
Be careful how you do this. You want to open an account, but . . .
YOU DO NOT WANT TO START YOUR OWN BLOG.
Follow this link to begin the process:
- Use any email address you can easily access from all devices.
- You do not have to use your Rowan email address for WordPress.
- DO NOT START YOUR OWN BLOG.
- Choose a unique username that does not identify you.
Username and Password
The link above will direct your browser to:
https://wordpress.com/start/account/user, which in turn will display this page:
- Choose an email address you can access immediately in class.
- It does not have to be your Rowan address
- It does have to be an address you check regularly
- Create an ANONYMOUS username
- Be sure you can’t be identified by your username
- Click Create My Account
In response to submitting your username and password, you’ll receive this notice directing you to your email account.
- Proceed to your email account to retrieve your confirmation email.
Confirm your First Email
- Find this confirmation of your request for an account.
- Click Confirm Now
Return to WordPress
Whether you clicked Continue in Step 2 or clicked Confirm Now in your email, you’ll be sent to a page like this one of current WordPress blog posts.
Retrieve your Second Email
A couple minutes AFTER you confirm your email address, you’ll receive a SECOND email from WordPress inviting you to Log In. You WILL NOT BE LOGGED IN to WordPress until you answer this second email.
- Click Log In to WordPress.com
Invite Yourself to the Blog
- This has to be done at the instructor’s workstation.
- Type your Username into the Usernames or Email Addresses field
- Select Author from the Roles dropdown
- Click Send Invitation
Retrieve your Third Email
- Click Accept Invitation
Join the Counterintuitive Blog
- Click Join
Personalize your Account
- UPDATE YOUR IMAGE
- Click on the shaded silhouette between the pencil and the bell.
- Then hover over and click on the larger silhouette to Update Profile Photo.
- You’ll be directed to Gravatar where you can upload any photo from your device to be your (Gr)avatar.
- OPTIONAL NAME ADDITION
- Be aware that while your name will be hidden from casual readers of the blog, determined readers will be able to find it.
- You may eliminate the Name step.
- (It’s convenient for your professor, but not essential.)