- “Margaret Sanger.” Biography.com. Ed. AE Networks Television. A&E Networks Television, 08 July 2014. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: In this biography I got to know the history of how Planned Parenthood was developed. The life and accomplishments of women’s rights activist, Margaret Sanger, were chronicled in this article.
How I Used It: I used this article to help the reader to understand the history of Planned Parenthood. I wanted the reader to know exactly how the institution was developed and all of the work that Sanger put into creating it. I felt that it was important for the reader to connect with Sanger on a personal level before I got into my argument.
2. https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-heartland/who-we-are/history Online, Planned Parenthood. “Our History.” Planned Parenthood. PP, 22 Nov. 2016. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: In this article the background of Planned Parenthood over the past one hundred years was discussed. This article discussed just how important Planned Parenthood is, and how it has been a vital institution for one hundred years now.
How I Used It: I used this article on Planned Parenthood to give my description of Margaret Sanger some backbone. I felt that after describing this history of Sanger, a few facts and numbers would be helpful, so that is where this article came into play.
3. http://www.loyolamaroon.com/10013950/oped/opinion-defunding-planned-parenthood-disaster/ “Opinion: Defunding Planned Parenthood Would Be a Disaster.” The Maroon. Ed. Op Ed Opinions. Loyola Maroon, 06 Apr. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article was written by students at Loyola University. They had done research on Planned Parenthood and had come to the conclusion that defunding it would be a grave mistake. There were many facts, statistics, and detailed information about Planned Parenthood in this article.
How I Used It: I used this article to provide facts and statistics to back up my arguments. I felt that this article had a lot of useful information that supported my thesis very well.
4. https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2015/std-surveillance-report-press-release.html C, C. D. “Reported Cases of STDs on the Rise in the U.S.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 17 Nov. 2015. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article discussed STD’s in the United States. It listed facts and statistics on all different types of sexually transmitted infections and diseases.
How I Used It: When it came to my argument about how defunding Planned Parenthood would create an STD epidemic, this article really helped me to back up my reasons. There are an insane amount of people in the United States living with STD’s, but thanks to Planned Parenthood that number is kept as low as possible. Without Planned Parenthood there to provide condoms and STD screenings, the STD statistics would be out of control. This article fully supported my reasons and I used facts from it in my paper.
5. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/08/12/for-planned-parenthood-abortion-stats-3-percent-and-94-percent-are-both-misleading/ Lee, Michelle Ye Hee. “For Planned Parenthood Abortion Stats, ‘3 Percent’ and ’94 Percent’ Are Both Misleading.” The Washington Post. WP Company, 12 Aug. 2015. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article discussed how there are untrue statements about Planned Parenthood all over the internet. Many anti-abortion activists have come up with crazy numbers, saying that almost all of Planned Parenthood’s funding goes to abortions, which is just not true. The author of this article discredited those made up statistics and provided the truth about where Planned Parenthood’s funding actually goes.
How I Used It: I used this article to support my case in stating that only three percent of Planned Parenthood’s funding goes towards abortions. It was very helpful when I was trying to get across where exactly the funding goes, and how much is spent on each service provided.
6. https://www.istandwithpp.org/defund-defined/impact-defunding-planned-parenthood Parenthood, Planned. “The Impact of Defunding Planned Parenthood.” Planned Parenthood Action Fund. PP, 1 Jan. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article discussed how defunding Planned Parenthood would affect the millions of people who depend on it everyday.
How I Used It: I used this article to demonstrate just exactly how many people really do depend on Planned Parenthood constantly for healthcare.
7. http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/health/planned-parenthood-by-the-numbers/ Strickland, Ashley. “Planned Parenthood: Fast Facts and Revealing Numbers.” CNN. Cable News Network, 17 Jan. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article gave real statistics and data, that might have surprised many people. Planned Parenthood’s abortion statistics are much lower than many people expect them to be, and the information provided by CNN in this article proves it.
How I Used It: I used this article in my efforts to break the cycle, and to get rid of the rumors that all that Planned Parenthood does is it provides abortions. The facts and statistics proved that this institution does much more than that, and abortions only make up a tiny percentage of what Planned Parenthood is about.
8. Family Usa. “Four Reasons Planned Parenthood Is an Essential Health Care Provider.”Families USA. Familiesusa.org, 17 Jan. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017. “Four Reasons Planned Parenthood Is an Essential Health Care Provider.”Families USA. Familiesusa.org, 17 Jan. 2017. Web. 17 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article discussed why Planned Parenthood is so important to individuals all across the country. Most of Planned Parenthood’s clientele make very little money, and lots of them use Planned Parenthood as their primary healthcare provider.
How I Used It: I used this article to help me justify why Planned Parenthood is so vital to this country. It provided valid arguments and facts as to why Planned Parenthood needs to be part of the United States healthcare system.
9. http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/08/05/429641062/fact-check-how-does-planned-parenthood-spend-that-government-money. Kurtzleben, Danielle. “Fact Check: How Does Planned Parenthood Spend That Government Money?” NPR. NPR, 05 Aug. 2015. Web. 27 Mar. 2017.
Background: This article discussed the different ways that Planned Parenthood spends their government funding. It discussed in percentages how much money is spent on each service at Planned Parenthood. It was determined after research and development that only three percent of Planned Parenthood’s funding goes towards abortions.
How I Used It: I used this article to prove that Planned Parenthood barely spends any money or effort on abortions. It helped me to provide factual information to back up my thesis.
10. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-obamacare-idUSKBN16D2RC. Cornwell, Susan, and Yasmeen Abutaleb. “U.S. Republicans Unveil Plan to Dismantle Obamacare, Critics Pounce.” Reuters. Thomson Reuters, 06 Mar. 2017. Web. 06 Mar. 2017.
Background: This article talked about how the Republican party in the United States wants to get rid of Obamacare, as well as Planned Parenthood. It showed their arguments for why defunding is necessary in their eyes.
How I Used It: I used this article to help me to understand the opposing side of Planned Parenthood, but I also used it to take down their reasons. I used this article a lot when I was coming up with my rebuttal to refute the opposing argument.
11. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/06/25/obamacare-five-reasons-supreme-court/29269895/. O’Donnell, Jayne, and Richard Wolf. “Five Reasons Why the Obamacare Decision Is Important.” USA Today. Gannett Satellite Information Network, 25 June 2015. Web. 06 Mar. 2017.
Background: This article discussed how getting rid of Obamacare would affect millions of people all over the country. Planned Parenthood is an institution that goes hand in hand with Obamacare, so if Obamacare were to be defunded, most likely Planned Parenthood would be as well.
How I Used It: This article was important in demonstrating that Planned Parenthood is not just an abortion clinic like most people think, it is actually a form of healthcare that many people depend on. Linking Obamacare to Planned Parenthood helped me to show Planned Parenthood’s true purpose.
12. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34363358. Lussenhop, Jessica. “What Is Planned Parenthood?” BBC News. BBC, 25 Sept. 2015. Web. 27 Mar. 2017.
Background: This article described exactly what Planned Parenthood really is. Lussenhop discussed all of the things that make up Planned Parenthood, and what kind of services they provide.
How I Used It: I used this article in helping me to discuss the fundamentals that make up Planned Parenthood.
13. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmp1102915#t=article Annas, George J. “Women and Children Last – The Predictable Effects of Proposed Federal Funding Cuts — NEJM.” New England Journal of Medicine. NEJM, 28 Apr. 2011. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article discussed how the government wanting to get rid of such things as Obamacare and Planned Parenthood could be detrimental for women and children all over the country. It stated that eliminating federal funding would create an extremely negative impact for mostly women and children in the United States.
How I Used It: This article was one of the things that I had read about Planned Parenthood that really made me want to write about why the defunding of it would be such a catastrophe. It motivated me to argue for the women and children who are going to be affected if the government makes the mistake of defunding Planned Parenthood.
Background: Planned Parenthood was developed about one hundred years ago by a woman named Margaret Sanger. She was a women’s rights activist who wanted women to be aware of their bodies and reproductive systems. After about one hundred years Planned Parenthood has become a vital institution used by a large number of people in the United States.
How I Used It: I used the Planned Parenthood website mostly to confirm facts that I had found in other articles and research.
15. http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/ Walsh, Deirdre, Ted Barrett, and Manu Raju. “Effort to Defund Planned Parenthood Threatens Obamacare Repeal.” CNN. Cable News Network, 06 Jan. 2017. Web. 24 Apr. 2017.
Background: This article discussed how the government wants to defund Planned Parenthood along with Obamacare. It talked about how many Republican party members are planning to vote against Planned Parenthood and Obamacare.
How I Used It: I used this article to help me gather information for my rebuttal and determine that there is only one rebuttal argument that is strong for anti- Planned Parenthood voters, and that would be the abortion argument.